Rupea fortress, as appears to us today, covers an area of nearly 11 ha with walls, towers and courtyards. Thanks to its dominant position, it is very close to the road E60, on the right side of Rupea city it’s a remarkable presence from a distance. The first documentary is from 1324, and after restoration program in 2010-2012, the fortress has recovered much of the original dowry.
Sighișoara fortress city: it is the center of the old historic Sighișoara, Mureș county. Built in the XXI century Saxon colonists under the Latin name Castrum Sex, the city was kept unchanged until today, and inhabited as well. Since1999 the fortress appears on the UNESCO World Heritage list.
The fortress is surrounded by a wall with a length of 930 m and whose initial height was about 4m. Subsequently, the wall height has been increased in some places up to 14 m. The wall was built between the 14th and 17th century as protection against Turkish attacks. The wall had 14 towers, of which 9 are preserved until today.
The towers functioning was headquarters of various guilds and crafts like:
- Clock Tower (height: 64m; tower gate)
- Rope Tower (located on the plateau of Schools from the hill, was restored in 19th century and currently serves as a home for caretakers who work at the evangelical cemetery on the hill)
- Butchers Tower (hexagonal)
- Furriers Tower (destroyed by fire in 1676 but was rebuilt, has 4 levels)
- Weavers Tower (which was demolished in 1858, the stones being used for paving the fortress)
- Tailors Tower (located opposite to the Clock Tower, it is also a tower-gate and has 2 floors; in 1676 the deposit for munition has exploded, the fire has destroyed the tower, which was rebuilt)
- Goldsmiths Tower (burned by lightning in 1809, it was demolished in 1863, on its foundation the German school’s gym hall was built. Since 1935 -1936 the tower is the chapel of the cemetery.
- Tin Tower (height: 25 m; four levels)
- Tanners Tower (one of the oldest)
- Blacksmiths Tower (built in 1631 on the foundations of the old barber tower, destroyed by fire in 1676 but was rebuilt)
- Locksmiths and Coopers Tower were located between Shoemakers and Blacksmith
- Fishermen Tower once stood on the Târnavei shore, far outside the city, the gristmill was also here. It is rarely remembered. It appears only on a layout inside the Clock Tower Museum.
- Shoemakers Tower (marks the northern end of the city wall, mentioned in 1521, fortified in 1603, partially destroyed in 1606, rebuilt in 1650, burned in 1676, rebuilt in 1681)
Saschiz: the place where once stood a roman basilica, was erected in 1493 a large fortified church in honor of King Stephen the 1st of Hungary.
the Roman basilica
Cloașterf: a church was built in the sixteenth century, the site of a Roman basilica much older. The fortified ensemble of the Evangelical-Lutheran Church is one of the most homogenous in Transylvania being the work of a single coherent construction period (1521-1524), under the direction of maestro Stephen Ungar from Sighi ș oara.
Archita: the fortified ensemble and church of Archita is is positioned in the center of the village. It is very well preserved, considering its age. The fortifications consist of a dual site and six towers with defensive role, from those nine that were initially raised. Construction of the church began from a Roman basilica with three naves that are in the middle of the enclosure, basilica without a tower that was dated in the last quarter of the XIII century. Subsequent changes were made around 1500, and turned it into a Gothic church with a hall type. Also in this period, begin the fortification.
the peasant fortress
Buneşti: peasant fortress from the XIII-XVI century, with gothic churches in the center of the municipal, and fortified churches in the villages Meșendorf, Roadeş and Viscri.
Viscri is one of those Transylvanian Saxon villages known for its wonderful fortified church, what appears on the list of UNESCO monuments. The village became famous also because it is regularly visited by Prince Charles of Wales, who has his own property in the village. In this situation, an important European vector was built for promoting the pictorial landscape from Transylvania.
Fişer: most of the churches in the area carry the marks of Roman and Gothic styles, and sometimes baroque or neoclassical influences. The church from village is dating from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, but is decorated with Renaissance paintings. The enclosure wall is reinforced with two towers, and the south-west side, is backed by a zwinger, built a pen-trap.
the Evangelical fortified church
The Evangelical fortified church from Jibert commune, Brașov county, was built in 1500 on an ancient Roman basilica dated from the XIII century. At the intersection of two main streets of the village, on a flat terrain, is the fortified church of Rupea province.
The fortified Evangelical church
The fortified Evangelical church from Cața commune, Brașov county, was built in the thirteenth century, and based on an ancient Roman basilica. Fortified Evangelical Church ensemble consists of the church, fortified convention hall with a way of defense, four towers, a bastion and gate tower.
The basalt columns (natural rarity) are creating a protected area of natural interest corresponding to IUCN category III (natural reserve of geological type) situated in Brașov county, on the administrative territory of Racoș community. The natural reserve with a 1.10 hectares’ surface was declared a protected area, because of the huge basalt columns created by the lava spills.
The Pine lake (this is the lakes real name) is the youngest piece of the Pine mine. They say that after the mining and workings at the mine has topped, the lake was created having an emerald green colour. On the southwest side of the lake a 300-meter length and 50-meter-high wall surrounds the lake marks the vertical slopes of mining excavations. Basalt flows in the region have many different forms such as: vertical columns, horizontal flows, lava chordates, horizontal microcolumns. The last one is because of to the mining, having an aspect of “vertical paving”.
In 1624 a castle was built by the family of Count István Sükősd on the lordship of Prince Bethlen Gábriel. The Prince gave them the asset. The walls are enclosing a right triangle, on every corner there is a cylindrical tower. The primary function of the castle was a noble luxury home what defended the family from a possible Turkish attack, and peasant revolt, the second one was frequent in those years.